When it comes to artificial turf, the backing is an important component that affects the overall performance and durability of your turf. There are several options for backing materials, but polyurethane is generally considered to be a superior choice. Here are some reasons why:
1. Strength and durability: Polyurethane is a strong and durable material that can withstand heavy foot traffic, weather conditions, and other wear and tear. It provides a solid base for the turf, helping it to maintain its shape and structure over time.
2. Resilience: Polyurethane backing has a high resilience, meaning that it can absorb and recover from impacts and compression. This helps the turf to bounce back after use and maintain its appearance and performance over time.
3. Waterproof: Polyurethane is waterproof, which helps to prevent water damage and mold growth in the backing and fibers of the turf. This is particularly important for outdoor turf installations, where the turf is exposed to rain and other moisture.
4. No chemical leaching: Unlike other types of backing materials, polyurethane does not leach chemicals or other harmful substances into the environment. This makes it a safe and eco-friendly option for artificial turf installations.
5. Improved drainage: Polyurethane backing can be designed with specific drainage patterns to help water flow through the turf and into the ground. This permeability helps to prevent water buildup on the surface of the turf, which can lead to damage and reduced performance.
Overall, a polyurethane backing is a better option for artificial turf because it provides strength, resilience, waterproofing, and improved drainage. Additionally, it’s a safe and eco-friendly option that doesn’t leach chemicals into the environment.
When choosing artificial turf, it's important to consider the backing material and choose a high-quality option that will provide long-lasting performance and durability so you can enjoy your outdoor space with peace of mind for years to come.